Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Crazy Summer

I'm thinking of doing something crazy this summer. Let me lead you through my train of thought here...

I'm on Spring Break right now from school and I'm really enjoying the free time to just reflect and relax. I spent the day wandering the stores and stopping for lunch and coffee. I'm reading a lot and I just feel at peace. Doing things alone doesn't bother me at all. It's kinda fun for me every now and then to feel independent.

So as I was having lunch I was thinking of how one of the main perks of being a teacher is having a whole summer free. Free summer = lots of travel opportunities. Last summer was difficult. Lots of classes to take, credits to catch up on, and a TON of family drama. This summer promises to be much more relaxing. Steve and I are trying to time me getting pregnant. We figure late July or August. Next summer ('10) I will either be really pregnant or with a new baby. So this summer is my last hurrah of freedom.

A friend of mine participated in this program: http://puebloingles.com. You show up in Madrid and they transport you to a small town outside of the city where business people and students go to practice English. You are provided free lodging and all three meals as well as cultural activities. My friend did it twice and he LOVED it. The only thing I'd have to pay for is my transport to Spain and any extra days I spent in the city.

I applied to see what I am offered... but here's my dilemma.

I feel completely selfish for wanting to do this. I know that Steve won't be able to come with me. I know that he would never tell me not to go, but he would definitely feel some resentment towards me for going. I could probably make the whole thing happen for under $1000 bucks... but still. I'd feel really selfish for doing it. I'm going to talk to him about it today and see what he thinks.

No comments: