Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Clean Slate

The best part about teaching: The fact that every August, you get to "start over" again.

Some people think that teachers are spoiled for getting the summer off. Well in reality, after the stress of dealing with 20+ children day-in and day-out, you really need that time to refocus. This is the first summer where I have time truly to myself and a chance to reflect on what I did wrong and what I want to change.

I took a great class today about Cooperative Learning and Learning Environment. I have so many great ideas about changes that I want to make and things that I want to take a step further. Every year it gets easier and I can already see what a huge difference just going from year one to year two made.

I like my job and even though sometimes I seem like I'm burnt out and ready to throw in the towel, something always keeps me wanting to try harder. Usually when I get to the burn out point, I get a lovely vacation to make me change my mind. :)

Oh and I can't forget that despite the fact that they drive me insane... my students need me.

P.S. I am due for a HUGE post about our Philly/West Chester/NJ trip a couple of weeks ago. I have all the pictures uploaded and I am going to dedicate some time to a substantial post about the amazing time that I had!

1 comment:

Jaime Joshi said...

Miss Dana! You look so cute with your kids! If more teachers were like you, we'd have more scientists, artists and musicians and less derelict assholes.

I can't wait to see your Dub C/Philly/NJ post! It was so great to see you guys and I can't wait to see you again!

P.S. -- We should totally plan a trip together. Meet up in some kickass city for a long weekend. It would rock!