Friday, August 14, 2009

My hope

This year my goal is to be a more FUN teacher. It sounds simple but it's really a hard task with all the challenges and time constraints that we're faced with. They want teachers to teach in a box... do exactly as the other teachers are doing... and lose most of our creativity. One of the things that I love about teaching is the ability to be creative. The teachers that I remember the most from my school days are the ones who took teaching to the limit. They challenged us to be creative and never settled for less than our best.

My favorite teacher was my 5th grade teacher, Ms. Neuenschwander. She was fabulous! I remember doing a "Hall of Famous People" for Social Studies. We each picked a historical figure and acted out a small skit pretending to be them. I was Clara Barton. I dressed like she would've and my sister Jessica was my "patient." I still remember sitting on the stage and performing for the other students. I remember really learning about the characters that were represented. She made me love Social Studies. Up to this day, I am a history nerd.

When we were learning about money we did a "Checkbook Study." We each got old checkbooks and Ms. N set up a store in the classroom. We were allowed to shop daily as long as we filled out the checks properly. This is where I learned to fill out a check properly - in the 5th grade!

I want to thank her for instilling a love of learning and making me into the teacher I am (or will be).

My first two years teaching have been a transition for me. I've figured out the classroom management and the paperwork nightmare. This year I want to bring more of myself into the classroom. I want each and every child in my room to know that I care about them and I will not allow them to fail. I want them to see the magic that lies between the pages of a book. I want them to see that they are important to someone.

I love teaching.

No comments: