Saturday, January 12, 2008

The persistence of memory

Cigarette smoke, strong black coffee, and brisk morning air. Suddenly, I am no longer walking down a quiet street in Orange Park, Florida. I am crossing a hectic street in Puerta del Sol, trying to get to class on time. My bag bumping against my hip, I half-jog across the busy intersection. If I close my eyes and really fall into my reverie, I can see the Tio Pepe sign on the building in front of me. I hear the music from my walkman and feel the sun on my shoulders. I smile and shake my head at the offer to purchase jewelry from a dark-skinned street vendor.

Opening my eyes, I am still walking down the street - my dogs impatiently pulling at their leashes. Car exhaust, horns blaring, people speaking rapid Spanish while kissing their companions on the cheek. If I listen closely, I can hear my classmates laughing and talking alongside me on our way to El Son for Salsa lessons. I hear the click of my roommate's stilletos on the cobblestone streets. I can feel my metro pass tucked tightly into my pocket.

I smile and snap out of my memory. As I continue walking down the street, I feel a warmth and happiness envelop me.

No matter how many years go by, I have taken a piece of of that city with me. I will call on it on those days where I feel helpless and stiffled by my ordinary life. I will know that I took a chance and experienced something beautiful. That is the beauty of travel.

3 comments:

Miss Jaime said...

Oh my God, you're such an amazing writer. Reading that, I missed city life SO badly -- honking horns, the chatter of the crowds, the smell of street food...hell, even the way the tube smells!
I just got a new passport -- let's run away to Europe.

D said...

lol I am so embarassed of my writing. Sometimes I get too sappy and caught up in it to get my thoughts out.

I like being able to experiment with it on blogger though instead of LJ. :)

P.S. THANK YOU for the banner, I love it!!!!

Miss Jaime said...

See, that's what I love about your writing -- you're completely honest and passionate. It's really hard to be that truthful when writing, but you do it effortlessly!

I'm so glad you liked the banner :)